University of Trento in Italy invites applications for the PhD Progamme in Mathematics for 2018/2019 academic session. The University of Trento in Italy opens the first call for position for the 34th Cycle of the Phd Programme in “Mathematics” jointly run with the University of Verona.
The positions in this first call are related to the appropriate funds allocated within the Departments of Excellence (Italian Law 232/2016), for which the Department of Mathematics of the University of Trento was a beneficiary for the development of the project approved. All positions are on a specific topic (as reported below), defined in the approved project, and are therefore conditional on execution of that specific research topic for which certain skills, to be verified on the selection webpage, are required.
The subsequent publication of a second call for applications with positions covered by university scholarships and other funding institutions is envisaged. The registrations for the second call will also be accepted by the participants to this first call, but those who will be winners both in the selection of the first call and in that of the second, will be automatically removed from the second constituting the winnings on the first call considered the first choice for the candidate and therefore binding.
A public selection must be passed in order to be admitted to the Doctoral Programmes. Calls for Selection are published every year between March and July. For details about examination’s schedule please refer to the webpages of the selected Doctoral School/Programme.
Worth of Award
- The annual gross amount of the research fellowship is € 22.800,00, including social security contributions to be paid by the recipient.
- The fellowship is subject to the payment of the INPS social security contributions “gestione separata” in the amount of two thirds payable by the University of Trento and a third to be paid by the research fellow; the fellowship is not subject to IRPEF.
- Applications for doctoral positions are accepted from applicants, regardless of gender, age and nationality, who hold:
a. an Italian “Laurea Magistrale”, according to the Ministerial Decree no. 270 of 22.10.2004 and
subsequent amendments, or
b. an equivalent Italian university degree (previous regulations in force, “specialistica”, AFAM), or
c. an equivalent foreign degree (Master’s degree) obtained at an officially acknowledged academic
institution, valid for admission to PhD studies in the Country of issue (except for substantial differences) and similar (duration and level) to the Italian degree, recognized as equivalent by the Admissions Committee for the sole purpose of access to the present Phd Programme.
- Applications are also accepted from students expecting to obtain the necessary degree by October 31, 2018. Admission to the Doctoral Programme for successful applicants who have not yet graduated will be “conditional” and the applicant will have to submit to the Doctorate Office S&T (via email to:
by November 6, 2018, on penalty of exclusion, awarding certificate or a selfdeclaration (by using Annex A).
- Applicants with a foreign qualification that has not been officially recognised as equivalent3 to an Italian degree (Laurea Magistrale/Specialistica/vecchio ordinamento) will be considered as requesting equivalence in their application, attaching the necessary supporting documents. The eligibility of foreign academic degrees is assessed by the Admissions Committee, following the rules in force or the international treaties on recognition of academic qualifications. The Admissions Committee may require the applicant to provide additional documentation if deemed necessary for the purpose of assessing the suitability.
How to Apply
- select the Doctoral Programme of interest;
- log in following the instructions;
- fill in the forms providing the requested information and uploading the documents specified in the Call;
- pay a € 15.00 Application fee.
Deadline: applications close May 16, 2018, hrs. 04.00 PM (Italian time, GMT +2)